Bookmark and Share
News Photo
Game 1
8 Innings
Game 2
Central Christian
College of the Ozarks
Baseball - Thu, Apr. 27, 2017

Photo by COFO Staff

Point Lookout, MO – With rain in the forecast for this weekend, Central Christian College baseball team's plans changed. They were originally supposed to host College of the Ozarks in a four game series, but instead decided not to risk the weather and headed to Missouri to play on the Bobcats' new turf field.

The Tigers had already made one trip to Point Lookout, winning one of four earlier this month. On Thursday night the Bobcats opened the series by taking a game one, in a pitchers' duel, 2-1. One half of that pitching duel was the Tigers' Keaton Snyder. Snyder gave the Tigers six innings of work, allowing just one run on eight hits. He was replaced in the bottom of the 7th by Cameron Bonds. Bonds worked an inning and two-thirds giving up the game winning run on two hits and ended up taking the loss.

Hits were not hard to come by, as the Bobcats finished with ten, and the Tigers seven, but runs were a different story. The Tigers managed to score just one run on those seven hits, stranding four runners on base. Mario Rivera and Ian Eshelman had multiple hits in the game for the Tigers, both coming through with a pair of singles. The lone Tiger run was driven in on a single by Jaime Romeu, and scoring on the play was Hunter Wilcher who had singled to lead off the inning.

The game was scoreless through three and a half innings. The Bobcats broke the scoreless tie on a solo homerun in the bottom of the 4th. The Tigers finally plated a run in the top of the 7th to tie the game at 1. The Tigers held the Bobcats scoreless in the bottom of the 7th and the game headed to extra innings. In the bottom of the 8th, the Bobcats opened the inning with a double. Bonds then struck out the next batter, and got the 3rd hitter of the inning to pop out behind home plate. Unfortunately the fourth hitter of the inning laced a single through the hole between short and 3rd base, and with the runner going on contact because of two outs in the inning, he scored easily and the Bobcats walked off with a 2-1 victory.

Game two was much different, both offensively and defensively for the Tigers. After playing a perfect game defensively in the opening game of the series, the Tigers had to overcome five defensive miscues on their way to a 10-7 win. Landon Stevens got the start and picked up the win in game two, going all seven innings, allowing seven runs, only three of them earned, on seven hits. Fortunately, for Stevens, he received a lot of offensive support from the Tiger hitters.

The bats came alive for the Tigers as they pounded out 13 hits which led to 10 runs. Nate Patterson led the offensive onslaught with a 3 for 4 performance that included a double and three RBI. The Tigers had just one other extra base hit in the game, a two run homerun by Zane Howard.  

The Bobcats took an early lead by plating a run in the bottom of the 2nd. The Tigers responded with a pair runs in the next half inning to take a 2-1 lead. The Bobcats then tied the game at two in their next at bat. The 4th and 5th inning were scoreless, but the Tigers broke the tie with three runs, on five hits, including the homerun by Howard, in the top of the 6th to take a 5-2 lead. The Tiger defense started to get a little shaky in the bottom of the 6th. The Bobcats got two of the runs back that they gave up in the top of the inning, with the help of three Tiger errors.

With their comfortable three run lead now at only one, the Tigers came out swinging in the top of the 7th. They rallied to score five runs in the inning on four hits, a pair of intentional walks, an error and a wild pitch. Those runs would prove to be important in the bottom of the inning. The Tiger coaching staff elected to stay with Stevens in the 7th. It looked like it was going to be a pretty easy inning for the Tigers as Stevens struck out the first two Bobcat hitters on called third strikes.

But it wouldn't be that easy. The next two Bobcats hit singles and then the 5th hitter of the inning was safe on a wild throw at first base by Eshelman who had just laid out to make a diving stop on a ground ball. One run came in to score on the error and the Bobcats began to build a little momentum. Then back to back wild pitches by Stevens allowed two more runs to score and the Bobcats had new life. Wilcher went to the mound to encourage and calm down his pitcher. The Bobcats' J.D. Chadwell, who had been a thorn in the side of the Tigers all night worked the at bat into a 3-2 count. Stevens let loose a fastball on the outside corner. Chadwell thought he had ball four and started running down to first base, but the home plate umpire said not so fast, and rung him up to end the game.

With the split, the Tigers are now 14-33 on the season. The same two teams will be back at it tomorrow in another double header, slated to start at 12:00 pm.